Magento Tech Digest #1 - News, Tutorials and Tools (August 1-20, 2017)
My name is Max Pronko, I am a Magento Expert, Developer and Consultant. I was looking for a place with a high quality content for Magento developers. While searching and reading through different social media platforms and other websites I've realized that it will be great to have a single list with technical tutorials, tools, news around Magento platform. That is how I came up with the idea to start a digest for developers called “Magento Tech Digest - News, Tutorials and Tools”.
In this Digest you can find hand-picked tutorials, how-to articles, videos, tools and other interesting resources for developers. I also plan to share most interesting and highly discussed pull requests and issues in the Magento 2 repository. The Magento Tech Digest is going to be published every 2 weeks.
News and Releases
- Magento 2.2-RC2.1 release is ready for testing. Read Getting The Magento 2.2 Release Candidate via Composer post to get started.
- Magento 2.1.8 has been released. Read all the changes in the Release Notes 2.1.8 CE document.
- PHP 7.2.0 Beta 2 released by Remi Collet
- Magento Connect is Moving to Marketplace by Maura Cyrus
Learn Magento 2
- Getting The Magento 2.2 Release Candidate via Composer by John Hughes
- Magento 2.2 backward incompatible changes by Magento
- You, me and Magento by David Manners
- The Proposed Magento Persistence Layer by Alan Kent
- Magento 2 tutorial: site performance tips by Rupert Jones
- Magento 2.1.8 & The Power of Community Contribution by Ian Cassidy
- Production Ready Microservices In Action by Venkatachalam Rangasamy. This post isn't about Magento 2, but I highly recommend to read it.
- ViewModels in Magento 2 by Jisse Reitsma
- Faking a Composer Repo by Alan Kent
- PHP 7 Syntax usage for Magento Contribution by Igor Miniailo
- Validation of Domain Entities in Magento by Igor Miniailo
- Reservations (design document created in the scope of multi source inventory project) by Igor Miniailo
- Magento 2 CLI scripts translations by Igor Furseev
- Magento 2 with Slick Carousel by Vanja Devcic
- Add Quantity Increment and Decrement Button in Magento 2 with KnockoutJS by Syed Muneeb Ul Hasan
- Magento 2 Multi Source (Stock) Inventory open demo by Magento
- How to Create WebAPI and How to Cover them with API Functional Tests by Magento
- How to create Custom Theme in Magento 2 by Max Pronko
- Beer and eCommerce: Magento 2.1.8 Release, Increased Community Involvement by TJ Gamble
- gordonknoppe/magento-sadserver - All error messages have been replaced with "¯_(ツ)_/¯" since you don't bother to read them anyways.
- tddwizard/magento2-fixtures - Fixture library for Magento 2 integration tests.
- mpchadwick/Mpchadwick_MwscanUtils - A set of utilities to use in tandem with magento-malware-scanner.
- Vinai/module-customer-password-command - Set Customer Password with bin/magento.
- davidalger/capistrano-magento2 - A Capistrano extension for Magento 2 deployments.
Magento 2 GitHub Pull Requests - Max's TOP favourites
The TOP Magento 2 Github Pull Requests list is a hand-picked list of contributions from Magento Community I believe you have to check:
#10288 Google Sitemap refactoring - introduce item resolver by Piotr Kwiecinski. Pull Request with Major refactoring of the Sitemap feature, allowing for more extensibility by third-parties.
#10508 Send different base currency in Google analytics by DominicWatts. Pull Request which allows order tracking with different currencies in Google Analytics.
#10089 Add fulltext/keyword search field for product admin grid by Josef Behr. This Pull Request is a good example of how easy it is to implement a missing admin search feature with Magento 2.
#10516 Update Cookie Manager library to make max cookie number configurable by bartoszherba. Pull Request and interesting discussion regarding maximum allowed cookie number. Is it always a bad code or sometimes not?
- #10356 Change URL Key behaviour to allow the same key to be used more than once. Controversial discussion regarding URL rewrite mechanism in Magento 2 and it's difference from Magento 1.
- Fabian Schmengler, Magento Developer and Consultant @integer_net, is writting a book called Test Driven Magento. This book is going to give a practical introduction into test driven development (TDD) with Magento 2 and walk through a complete module creation as an example. You may subscribe to Fabian's newsletter to receive emails about preview material and updates.
- Vinai Kopp, Magento Expert, Developer & Trainer, is launching new project called Mage2.tv. Mage2.tv is a library of screencasts on Magento 2 development. You can vote for topics which are going to be used for further Magento 2 Screencasts preparation.
This is all for the Magento Tech Digest #1, hope you found it interesting.
In case you would like to contribute to the next Magento Tech Digest please send me a message with your proposed link.