Hi Magento Developer!
In this Digest, you can find interesting and practical tutorials for Magento 2 development. Feel free to share your feedback. Also, make sure to send your topic for Magento Imagine 2018 if you have something to share.
Learn Magento 2
News and Releases
- Magento 2.2 Deployment Improvements by Alan Kent
- Magento 2 Performance on Docker (a preliminary test) by Kevin Schroeder
- Interesting discussion and opinions about GIT and deployment strategy Magento2 projects
- The first step towards pre generated IDs. And how this will improve your Integration tests by Igor Miniailo
- Better Magento code through a disciplined approach by Gastblogger
- Think Outside The Box (1/4): Magento 2 As API Framework by Simon Schröer
- My visit to the Dutch Magento Unconference 2017 by Giel Berkers
- Uninstall modules with related data by Dmytro Cheshun
- Adding gallery tab to a CMS page by Antun Martinovic
- Restrict website access – require log in by Luka Rajcevic
- Do not depend on window.checkoutConfig by Jisse Reitsma
Magento 2 GitHub Pull Requests – Max’s TOP favourites
Here is my list of Pull Requests which I selected for your attention.
- #10335 WIP: Admin Config Search by Max Gubar. This feature will provide a possibility to find the config fields in Magento in a fast and easy way (e.g. live search).
- #10378 Improved calculating version hash for the js-translation.json file. by Pieter Hoste. This improvement is great for multi-node environment when 2 and more Magento servers are behind Load Balancer. The js-translation.json files will have same version hash on all Magento servers with this improvement.
- #6708 Google Adwords add ability to provide transaction-specific conversion values in your conversion tracking tag by XigenDominic.
- #10558 Option to send currency in Google Adwords when using dynamic value by DominicWatts. This pull request is improves Google AdWords out of box Magento 2 module and enables multiple currency websites to properly send currency (google_conversion_currency parameter).
- #9401 Enabling the use of looping (for in ..) into Template.php by Thiago. Very interesting addition to template processing. This pull request will allow to use for in order to go through array of elements and render it one by one.
- #10721 cron viewer in admin by DominicWatts. This is going to be out of box support for showing cron via Magento Admin. This will help developers to see all cron-related information in one place.
There was a discussion around bumping up Magento 2 module version in case PHP 7+ version is increased. Find out more at Doctrine website PHP 7.1 requirement for Doctrine packages post written by Andreas Braun. In other words, Magento 2 team confirms the same approach as for Zend Framework and Doctrine projects.
— Igor Miniailo (@iminyaylo) August 31, 2017
Alan Storm, well known in Magento Community started new series of blog posts called Just Enough C for PHP. It will be very interesting for PHP folks to get a clear understanding on how PHP functions works and its implementation on C side.
As you may notice, Magento 2 is going to support PHP 7+ only. It means we, as developers will get all the benefits introduced as part of PHP 7. Igor Minialo asks an opinion about using strict_mode=1 for the entire Magento 2 project. Make sure to vote and share your opinion.
— Igor Miniailo (@iminyaylo) September 5, 2017
This is all for the Magento Tech Digest #2. Let me know in comments below if I missed an interesting technical post. In case you would like to contribute to the next Magento Tech Digest please send me a message with your proposed link.
Read Magento Tech Digest #1 for more tutorials.
Max with his team of Magento enthusiasts won the Best Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration Award at the Magento Imagine 2017. As CEO at Pronko Consulting, he is actively working with Magento 2, delivering superior customer experience. As one of the most famous developers on a market and in the Magento Community, he launched Magento 2 blog, Magento DevChannel – YouTube channel in 2017 where he shares his knowledge, experience and the best practices in the Magento field.
Subscribe to my Magento 2 tips and tutorials content.
Every week I send an interesting email directly to your inbox